Dear Kindergarten Families,

I am attaching songs activities for each week below that your student can practice singing along with at home.  The song activity for the current week should be on top, and at the start of each week, I will move the old lessons to the bottom.

I hope you enjoy these activities and I can’t wait to see everyone again as soon as we are able to be back at school together!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Week 10 (May 25-29 Memorial Day Holiday Monday)

Dear Kindergarten students and families,

I just typed “week 10” and I honestly can not believe it.  Has it really been 10 weeks since we switched to doing school from home?  Does it seem like it’s been less or more?  I can’t decide.  This is now the second-to-last week of our school year.  Kindergarten is almost finished for all of you!  This should be a time of fun and celebration!  We should have finished with our Spring Concert and our Kindergarten Character Counts Assembly.  There should be picnics and field trips and parties.

I am thankful to be in my house, safe and healthy right now.  But I feel sad too.  I miss each and every one of my students.  Even though I know that it is best for us to stay apart right now, to ensure our safety, I simply can not wait until we can get back to school and I can see everyone again.

And also…

HAPPY LAST WEEK OF SCHOOL LESSONS EVERYONE!!

My dear sweet beloved kindergarten friends, this is it!  You have completed your first year of elementary school.

The next time I see you all, you will be FIRST GRADERS!

Are you so excited?

I hope so, because I am very excited for each and everyone of you. 🙂

– Mrs. Kremer

I have two more songs in honor of this momentous occasion.

This next one is to remind you that you all special and amazing just the way you are so you should always remember to be yourself.

This next song is a graduation song.  I know that you may be sad that we aren’t getting to celebrate completing kindergarten together formally.  Still, it is a momentous achievement so in honor of your success this year, please enjoy singing this Dynamite Graduation song, which my son (who is now finishing 5th grade this year) sang at his own kindergarten celebration.  There are lots of fun musical breaks, and you can take that time to have a little, fun dance party.

I am so proud of all of you.  I miss you all so much and I simply can not wait to see you again.

HAVE A GREAT SUMMER!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

**Older lessons**

Each week, I will move the previous week’s lesson to the bottom.  If you want to continue singing the older songs for fun, feel free! 🙂

Week 1 (March 16-20)

Our  first song is Time to Sing.  We learned it when I first came to Tular.  I think it will be fun to see if they will remember singing it.

Time to Sing

It’s time to sing a song or two
You with me and me with you
Time for us to sing awhile, hey, hey, hey

It’s time for us to clap our hands in rhythm with the beat
Time for hands to clap awhile, hey, hey, hey

And it’s time for saying hi and hello
Let’s all sing a song that we know

It’s time for us to tap our toes together with our feet
Time for toes to tap awhile, hey, hey, hey

And it’s time for saying hi and hello
Let’s all sing a song that we know

It’s time to sing a song or two
You with me and me with you

Here is a link to a recording of the original musician Raffi performing it.  It’s interesting to hear his version which has some extras.

Week 2 (March 23-27)

Our next great tune to practice and maybe work out a bit of our nervous energy is called Shake our Sillies Out.  Encourage the children to move as the lyrics indicate and have fun!

Shake Our Sillies Out

Gotta shake, shake, shake my sillies out,

Shake, shake, shake my sillies out

Shake, shake shake my sillies out and wiggle my waggles away!

Gotta clap, clap, clap my crazies out,

Clap, clap, clap my crazies out

Clap, clap, clap my crazies and wiggle my waggles away!

Gotta jump, jump, jump my jiggles out,

jump, jump, jump my jiggles out

jump, jump, jump my jiggles out and wiggle my waggles away!

Gotta yawn, yawn, yawn my sleepies out,

yawn, yawn, yawn my sleepies out,

yawn, yawn, yawn my sleepies out and wiggle my waggles away!

Shake, shake, shake my sillies out

Here again is a link to listen to a performance of this song by the original artist, Raffi.

Since this is a super popular children’s song, here is another excellent version with video from The Learning Station.

Week 3 (March 30-April 3)

This is Won’t You Be My Neighbor? which was the theme song from the PBS television song Mister Roger’s Neighborhood,  I really enjoy it’s message of inclusion and friendship towards others.

Won’t You Be My Neighbor?

It’s a beautiful day in this neighborhood,

a beautiful day for neighbor.

Would you be mine?

Could you be mine?

It’s a neighborly day in this beauty wood,

a neighborly day for a beauty.

Would you be mine?

Could you be mine?

I have always wanted to have a neighbor just like you!

I’ve always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you.

So let’s make the most of this beautiful day,

Since we’re together we might as well say

Would you be mine?  Could you be mine?

Won’t you be my neighbor?

Won’t you please, won’t you please,

please won’t you be my neighbor?

Week 4 (April 6-10)

This week I would like to try something different.  I wish that the kids and I could be at school in the music room to play on the rhythm instruments.  However, since this isn’t possible right now I’ve been looking for resources online that you can use at home to get a similar musical experience with your children.

I found a wonderful series called Prodigies Music Lessons for early childhood and I’d like you to try a couple of the lessons.  This is one of several resources I am looking into using more next year for the younger students in TK and kindergarten.  For  now, I’d like you to try this cute song called “Beet, Beet.”  In this song the children will practice singing along as well as singing and playing along in a repeat-after-me style.  They also will practice playing one sound per beat (beet) and two sounds per beat (cherry.) Try your best to sing along and keep the rhythm on your lap.

After a couple goes at Sweet Beets, if your child is ready, please try Sweet Beets 2 which tries a little bit more difficult rhythmic pattern.  This song continues the previously learned skills but also adds four sounds per beat rhythms (avocado) as well as rests (shh.)

Also please note that in the second video Mr. Rob is playing the Congo drums.  Your child can continue to play on their laps, clap or play on their chest.  However, for added fun, perhaps your child can find a couple of old buckets, coffee cans or something similar that they can use in the place of a drum at home.  Have fun!

Week 5 (April 20-24)

This week I would like you to try another couple of videos from Music Prodigies.  In the first video we learn to sing a scale using some special musical syllables called solfege.  Before we begin, let me explain:  A musical educator named John Curwen wanted to help people be able to learn to read music and sing along accurately.  He started with a set of silly little words that people could sing for each pitch of a scale.

These are:

DO (pronounced DOE)

RE (pronounce RAY)

MI (Pronounced ME)

FA (Pronounced FA but sometimes FAR because of The Sound of Music)

SOL (Pronounced SOL or sometimes SEW, again because of The Sound of Music)

LA  (Pronounced La)

TI (Pronounced Tea)

& again

DO (pronounced D0)

If you have ever watched the movie The Sound of Music these are the same sounds the governess uses to teach the children to sing. Here’s a video of that:

Now, as a child, I always thought Maria was just kind of weird.  But really she was using an old traditional method of teaching singing.

Notice there are 8 silly little one sylllable words that we sing, one for each step of a musical scale.  Also notice that we start and end on DO, because a scale starts and ends on the same pitch, just one octave higher.  If that doesn’t really make sense yet, hopefully when you watch and sing along with the video in a moment, it will.

Curwen also created a set of hand signs for each syllable. We use these to help us remember them because sometimes connecting a physical movement to something we are learning makes it easier to remember.  This pictures shoes all the syllables and their matching hand signs.

I know that all seems a little strange as I try to explain it so please watch and follow along with the video which I think is an excellent introduction to all of this.

So, once the children become familiar with the syllables and hand positions they can use them to practice learning to sing songs by ear.  Here’s another video to try practice this. I hope you have fun practicing your hand signs and syllables in this little game which is basically name that tune.

Week 6 (April 27-May 1)

Even though we aren’t going to get to do our Kindergarten Character Counts assembly (which makes me SO sad) I still want the kids to try to learn the song this week.  As you may know the character pillar for Kindergarten is Fairness.

Now, Fairness refers to something that is Fair.  This is a word a hear young people throw around quite a lot but I sometimes wonder if they really understand the meaning.  The dictionary tells me fair means the following:

1. marked by impartiality and honest free from self-interest, prejudice, or favoritism
  2. conforming with the established rules

In other words fairness is truthfully following the rules and treating everyone and everything the same, without giving some an advantage because you like them better.

It’s hard to be fair.

If we’re really honest, we also can realize that life, a great deal of the time, isn’t fair.

It certainly isn’t fair that school is closed for the rest of the year and we have to try to complete kindergarten in our homes with our parents instead of at school with our teachers and friends.

But…. the thing is, when life seems to be super unfair, the BEST way to try to combat that is to behave as your very best self and be as fair as YOU can be.  Be the best version of yourself possible.

Actually, even when everything is great, that is still pretty solid advice.  🙂

Here’s the lyrics to Mr. Short’s song about Fairness:

Always Be Fair

By Gene Short

I think about what’s fair

I think about what’s not

I think it’s mostly common sense

If we can truly share

Give thanks for what we’ve got

Perhaps we’ll make a difference

At school at home

I’m gonna be fair

At school at home

and everywhere

I will make a difference

In this world I swear

I will make a difference

and always… be fair

Practice singing the song with a grown up or older sibling and think about what the words mean.  Try your very best to be your best self every day and be as fair as you can (even when it feels like nothing else is.)

Week 7 (May 4-8)

This week I want to begin sharing a few of my favorite musical stories.  Did you know that sometimes books are actually songs?  You can read the words like normal or you can sing them just like a song while you look at the pictures.  Most of these are books I have on the shelf in my classroom.  Unfortunately, those books remain in my classroom and I am at home.  So, as much as I wish I could record myself reading and singing to you I just don’t have the books.  (I never expected school to be closed for so long!)

Don’t worry though, all of these books have videos with the books pictures set to music.  That’s probably better than listening to me anyway.

Here are the lyrics if you want to sing along:

Sing!  Sing a song!  Sing out loud, sing out strong!  Sing of good things, not bad.  Sing of happy, not sad.

Sing!  Sing a song! Sing it sweet, to last your whole life long.  Don’t worry that it’s not good enough for anyone else to hear. Sing!  Sing a song!

I *really* like this sweet old song because it kind of just says, “hey, if you want to sing, then sing!  Don’t worry what anybody else things about it, just sing and have fun!”

******

The next one is a book I often read or sing to my younger students very early in the year.  It is called Giraffes Can’t Dance and was written by Guy Parker-Rees and Giles Andreae.  Here’s a video version of the story book:

I really like this story.  I think Giraffes are one of the best animals.  I also like the way that Gerald found that he really could dance, he just had to find the right music to move to.

It really doesn’t matter how you dance (as long as you move your body safely.)  And while I know sometimes you may feel shy about people watching you, or how others might think you look when you dance, you should be able to move however you want when your dance to music if it makes you happy.

On that note, how about a couple fun dance songs?  Don’t be shy!  Just do what is fun (safe) and feels natural!!

Get up on your feet, make sure you have some space and get ready to move and sing along to this fun song!

This next one is similar.  Enjoy!  (But remember, for your safety, please run, jump and move about in place.)

Week 8 (May 11-15)

Last week started working on some fun, musical story books.  Let’s continue with more of these this week.

For some reason, all of these seem to be about animals this week too.  I suppose Mrs. Kremer just really enjoys learning (and singing about) animals.  I hope you have fun singing along too!!

For some reason, this video doesn’t have the lyrics so here they are:

Down in a jungle, come if you dare. What can you see shaking here and there?
With a shaky shake here and shaky shake there, What’s that creature shaking here and there? It’s a bear!
She goes shake, shake boogie, woogie, oogie! Shake, shake boogie, woogie, oogie! Shake, shake boogie, woogie, oogie!
That’s the way she’s shaking here and there.
Down in a jungle where nobody sees. What can you see swinging through the trees?
With a swingy swing here and swingy swing there. What’s that creature swinging through the trees? It’s a monkey!
He goes swing, swing boogie, woogie, oogie! Swing, swing bogie, woogie, oogie! Swing, swing boogie, woogie, oogie!
That’s the way he’s swinging through the trees
Down in a jungle in the midday heat. What can you see stomping its feet?
With a stompy stomp here and stompy stomp there. What’s that creature stomping its feet? It’s an elephant!
She goes stomp, stomp, boogie, woogie, oogie! Stomp, stomp, boogie, woogie, oogie! Stomp, stomp, boogie, woogie, oogie!
That’s the way she’s stomping her feet.
Down in a jungle where the trees grow high. What can you see flying in the sky?
With a flappy flap here and flappy flap there What’s that creature flying in the sky? It’s a bird!
He goes flap, flap, boogie, woogie, oogie! Flap, flap, boogie, woogie, oogie! Flap, flap, boogie, woogie, oogie!
That’s the way he’s flying in the sky.
Down in a jungle where the leaves lie deep? What can you see learning how to leap?
With a leapy leap here and leapy leap there. What’s that creature learning how to leap? It’s a leopard!
She goes leap, leap, boogie, woogie, oogie! Leap, leap, boogie, woogie, oogie! Leap, leap, boogie, woogie, oogie!
That’s the way she’s learning how to leap
Down in a jungle where there’s danger all around? What can you see slithering on the ground?
With a slither slither here and slither slither there. What’s that creature slithering on the ground? It’s a snake!
He goes slither, slither, boogie, woogie, oogie! Slither, slither, boogie, woogie, oogie! Slither, slither, boogie, woogie, oogie!
That’s the way he’s slithering on the ground
Down in a jungle where the stars are shining bright. Who can you see swaying left and right?
With a sway sway here and sway sway there. Who is swaying left and swaying right? We are!
You!
Me!
Everybody!
We go sway, sway, boogie, woogie, oogie!
Sway, sway, boogie, woogie, oogie!
Sway, sway, boogie, woogie, oogie!
That’s the way we boogie through the night.

I feel that I would be remiss if I didn’t include just one more.  All these cute songs about animals, but we haven’t yet gotten to my favorite.  (I have a lot of favorites, but I seriously do love this one!!)

Stand up, clear some space so you have room to move and please enjoy the “There was a crocodile!”

Week 9 (May 18-22)

Who loves a silly song?

Like a song that maybe doesn’t even make very much sense but you just sing it anyway because it makes you laugh…

You know what everyone, Mrs. Kremer loves a good, funny, silly song.  The weirder the better.  This week let’s sing through a few of my favorite silly songs.  A lot of these are well known as campfire songs.  I know that I learned many of these myself back when I was much younger and I spent my summers working as a camp counselor.

This first one, I want you to know, was a special request of my youngest daughter who is in kindergarten just like all of you.

Next, who likes pizza?  I love pizza!!  Have you ever thought about what it would be like to BE a pizza?

Here’s another one about food?  I used to LOVE singing this one whenever my mommy made spaghetti and meatballs for dinner.

If you need te lyrics, here they are:

On top of spaghetti, all covered with cheese, I lost my poor meatball when somebody sneezed.  It rolled off the table and on to the floor and then my poor meatball, rolled right out the door.  It rolled in in the garden and under and bush.  And then my poor meatball was nothing but mush.  The mush was as tasty as tasty could be and then the next summer it grew into a tree.   The tree was all covered, all covered with moss, and on it grew meatball with tomato sauce.  So if you eat spaghetti, all covered with cheese, hold on to your meatballs, whenever you sneeze.  

That’s one is so funny.

Next is a mostly a repeat after me song.  Hopefully you’ll pick it up quickly.

What’s for favorite thing to eat for lunch…. mine is described in this next song:

Last one for today.  There are a million versions of this song.  I think I learned it myself when I was not much more than a kindergartner myself.